Avoid building on important habitat areas. The building location should be used to help protect these.
Protect and use existing mature trees or bush, particularly natives, as features for the development. This is an effective way of integrating the new development into its existing environment.
Improve the ecology and habitat of the site by integrating this into the development. This could include:
- Riparian and other planting, including street trees.
- Treatment of land that has been contaminated.
- Reducing stormwater amounts and improving stormwater quality.
- Changing exotic plant cover to native plant cover which is eco- sourced if possible.
- Pest and weed management.