- The site layout locates compatible uses together and provides separation distances and buffers between incompatible uses
Horizontal mixed use developments are suited to large sites where it is possible to provide adequate separation between buildings containing different uses.
There are a number of advantages to horizontal mixed use developments, including:
- activation of the street edge by locating commercial and retail activities at the front of the site
- the segregation of incompatible uses, both within and between sites, through separation distances and physical buffers
- the ability to integrate higher density developments into otherwise lower density areas through the use of staggered building heights
- an increased demand for local services
- easy access to local employment opportunities.